Being humble isn’t the most common adjective to describe someone these days. With social media pushing harder and harder for consumerism, and comparison of what others have it is quite easy to get caught up into the whirlwind of keeping up. I thought I would share some of my personal initiatives that I instill every single day to make sure that my soul is being fed, my feet are solidly planted on the ground, and my ego is in check.
I am a huge believer in the power of confidence. Confidence is what we exude that starts from within. I find people often mistake confidence for arrogance, or a huge ego. When you are more ego driven you tend to care more about the things you have, what people think of your things, and what exterior factors can contribute to your own inner happiness. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having nice things, and enjoying your life to the fullest. We are always striving for fulfillment in life, but need to make sure we balance out exterior needs and wants with a healthy dose of humility.
Here are 6 simple ways I remain humble every day:
1. I choose to lead with humility. For example: I could lead with what I have now in life, OR I could lead with where I came from, and how I got to where I am now. I choose to focus on gracefully sharing where I came from, and how very grateful I am with the abundant life I’ve created.
2. I do not own a purse, and choose not to buy one. Instead, I carry a $10 wallet that I have had for a few years now. This constantly reminds me that I am not carrying something that is just a status symbol. When I get my dream bag one day it’s because in my heart I truly made it to a level of achievement within my career. For now, I continue to hustle & keep from being lazy.
3. I take public transportation, and walk. As much as I love a good uber ride, or the ease of being in the car, I try to always put myself in situations where I am pushing myself to make the extra effort. Whether on the subway, or walking several blocks I enjoy knowing that having a car is truly a luxury. Paying for transportation is a luxury, and commingling with everyone on the streets of Manhattan, or in cities I’ve never been allow me to be with all people from all walks of life, and remember this.
4. Many of the pieces throughout my work days consist of the following. Putting others before myself, my team, my clients, my friends and family, listening to them when they need me. Knowing that it’s important to give honest feedback, and also accept constructive criticism regularly. It’s very important for me to take ownership of the good, and bad accepting whatever responsibilities are my own. I am constantly learning, and don’t want to know everything. If I don’t know I say so, and find out who does.
5. I pay it forward, always. Every day I wake up and text, or call my favorite people. I always start with a message to make them smile, and brighten their day. Whether it’s a card in the mail, flowers, or a simple message, it’s so important to put others before ourselves sometimes. Know who may need a helping hand, and go above and beyond. I remember when I had nothing but my air mattress and clothes. I will forever cherish the people who’ve helped me back up. I have In turn done the same for others. Having no expectations let me preface is the key here. You need to give freely, and without expectation to live a humbling life.
6. Every morning I focus on gratitude, and every evening I thank God for all that I have. It’s important to be aware of the simplest things we take for granted. A roof over our head, the clean water we drink, heat or air conditioning (hot flashes have me using both hahaha), the food we buy, our health, and the time we have in a given day to accomplish a tremendous amount. I stop for a few minutes a couple times a day to remind myself of these simple, but incredibly blessed ways of living a wonderful life.
I hope that you take a moment every day to remind yourself that life is beyond precious, and nothing is forever, or guaranteed to us. The more we focus on humility and gratitude, the more abundant our lives become in many ways.