It's Valentine's Day this week! For some, OK most of us; we are scrambling to figure out what we are going to get our special someone. We are surrounded by aisles of cards, chocolate displays, and roses that are quite spendy due to the consumerism of it all. Like most holidays we enjoy the familiarity of the same old gifts, and to many they are expected. For others though, with a little planning ahead, and truly finding the one you want to go above and beyond for I have put together a list of WOW Valentine's Day moments to truly knock their socks off.
For starters...let me divulge the fact that not every woman and every man are the same. Before running with these ideas I highly suggest taking a step back, and knowing what your partner's love language is. If someone's love language is Time and Touch, the last thing you want to do is get them a bunch of gifts. If you are not sure ask them, or take the test. You will forever thank me for this one!
Now, onto the good stuff!
- If you are going to go the candle and balloon route, my philosophy is go big or go home...meaning don't settle on 2-3. Go with many! Fill the room with balloons and candles galore.
- Know their favorite song? Sing to them! It is all about the thought that counts. I guarantee you this will be a moment they will never forget. If you're really not up for singing you could always surprise them, and have someone sing to them at work, or at a restaurant.
- Take them on a scavenger hunt throughout the day until they land in your arms. Use some of the points as memories, and places you went to on dates. Focus on what would be special between the two of you
- Book a surprise weekend getaway next weekend, and tell them to pack a bag giving them only a few clues as to the climate, and type of place you're going to
- You can never go wrong with recreating your first date together!
- Letters are amazing! Not many people take the time to write out a letter anymore. A love letter is something they will cherish for generations to come, and look back on. Don't be afraid to tell them how you really feel
- If you are going to go the more traditional route, and take them to dinner; try opting for a special place that you can customize ahead of time. Add the special wine, go there ahead of time and put something on the table that shows more effort, and see if you can add any kind of twist to the menu.
- For those of you who can cook, amen to that! Cook for them. Make the setting incredibly romantic. Hell, even take out, and a beautiful display of candles and roses works too. This could be breakfast in bed, or dinner. Either way they will equally enjoy!
- Take them to their favorite store that they shop at, and have them pick out a favorite outfit to wear to dinner. Nothing is better than someone feeling like a million bucks.
- Rewrite your story in your own words, and put that into a photo book to display
- Lastly, throw on some of those killer slow dance songs, and dance in the living room. It truly is the simplest things that mean the most.
The best part about Valentine's day shouldn't in my opinion be about what is expected. Valentine's day is about taking a day when we are all too busy, and wrapped up in ourselves, and day to day life to enjoy what you have with someone special. To remind them they are not taken for granted, and they are loved beyond what anyone else can give them but you.
Whether you have been together a month, a year, or twenty years, remember this...
"Treat them like you're still trying to win them, and that's how you'll never lose them"
Enjoy your Valentine’s Day!